Be sure to allow yourself time—before you retire or leave your plan—to consider your options. Learn about Medicare and the different types of plans, talk to your employer about what they offer to retirees, or find out what you need to do when leaving a Marketplace plan.
First, go through your recent health care history to understand the coverage you’ll need. Ask yourself these questions:
- What did you pay in the past year (including premiums, deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance)?
- How many times did you go to the doctor?
- How many times did you stay in the hospital?
- Do you plan on traveling?
- Who are your regular doctors, and what medications do you take?
Next, compare the different Medicare plans to find the coverage and premiums that work best for you:
Finally, make a list of options that seem best for you. You can also meet with one of our MVP Medicare Advisors, either one-on-one or at a free Medicare seminar.